Monday, January 26, 2009

We take turns reading to each other and snickering at the decorating missteps

I've got to tell you there's no better way to shop these days than at consignment stores...

I found this chaise for $150 (I happened to know who consigned this item, so I felt good about buying it; I don't usually buy second-hand upholstered items...worry about possible smoke or pet smells or maybe someone who owned it didn't like The Office and I love The Office...).

Also got the print on the left and the one on the right of the girl with white hat for about $12 each. I decided to put all these items in my home office, giving it a little rehab. I really likely how this arrangement on the wall is turning out.

I placed this "I love you" American Sign Language sculpture in there, too. I originally bought it for the living room, until my 6-year-old son admitted he didn't really like it after he said he really liked it. He was just afraid he would hurt its feelings if he told the truth...and who needs a creepy hand on a stick holding a grudge? It's better contained in my office.

That's what the office looked like before I shoved those magazines out of the frame. I plan to read all of those...but there is a protocol.

You read them once, let them rest, and then go back and read again, this time ripping out the pages you like. But sometimes new magazines come in while the old ones are resting and you have to read those fast, so you don't mess up the order of things, but then the new magazines need a third read because they were not given proper respect the first time around and then the pile grows and grows and grows...and the kitten is staring at me...why is the kitten staring at me???

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments:

The Texas Woman said...

I have stacks of "resting" magazines too!

The Texas Woman

janie said...

Hehe, I love this post.. I'm giggling! And I have that ILY hand, too! TJ Maxx perhaps? ehh?? lol

Tricia said...

I'm not crazy! That's the same way I read and feel about my magazines!
Love the chaise, what a great deal.

CRICKET said...

This weekend I just strated tearing pages out of my stack of magazines - it felt good!

Anonymous said...

Now that's a fabulous deal for a pretty chaise. I'm impressed!

Kylie

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just dropped by your blog to say hello. I am in the business of conducting estate liquidation sales here in
Rhode Island. If you or your friends like to go to yard sales or have a real interest in antiques, your'e invited
to attend our sales. Our website is http://www.RhodeIslandEstateSales.com If you or anyone you know has inherited
a house full of stuff, we can help. Let us know.

Lisa said...

I AM SOOOO GLAD TO HAVE FOUND YOUR BLOG! GOODWILL, YARD SALES, SECOND HAND SHOPS, YES!!!

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Well, I love the "fist of rock." :-) And I agree...I'm thinking of sending some of my stuff to consignment, too -- I've never done before, but I would typically donate it so I'm wondering if I should try to make some extra money.

Karyn said...

I have a love/hate relationship with my magazines. Your sunny little corner is very pretty. Love the cheery paint color on the wall.

Alisha Stamper said...

found you on tip junkie about your orange tables. laughed out loud (and snorted when i did so, no going to lie) about the magazine piles. love it.

Anonymous said...

I love the I Love You hand! Very quirky! What a find!
http://www.apinchofcheer.etsy.com

Unknown said...

Mary

The hand sign is just the perfect piece to go there. The glass lamp stand as well. But what is that box?

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Twin Xl said...

A few days ago I came your site and have been following along steadily. I decided I could write my opening comment. Im not sure exactly what to write except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice website. I intend to continue visiting this website frequently

Meander said...

love that sign language sculpture, perfect for this weekend ;) wink wink!!! You are too funny about "the office"! laughing out loud darling! Thanks for the inspiration and the chuckle! xoxo

Dianna@DecorMadeSimple said...

Nothing wrong with recycling. It's easy on the pocket and great for the environment.

There's a lot of unique stuff out there just waiting to be re-invented.

Work at Home Dad said...

This post is very informative. Great ideas and tips. Thank you for sharing it.

Renee - Tables said...

Just a quick note from a first time poster; thanks for the work that you put into this blog! I for one appreciate it

very much.

Jada said...

First time poster here at your blog --- please keep it up! I'm enjoying the reads.

Corner Showers said...

"He was just afraid he would hurt its feelings if he told the truth"

Your son has a kind heart! :)

Las Vegas Foreclosures said...

With almost everything which appears to be building within this particular subject matter, many of your points of view are generally rather refreshing.

Kuba Jewgieniew said...

The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

Cape Coral Properties said...

I've read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

ayala land premier said...

Eton

Eton Properties

SM condo

William Whitfield said...

Thanks for all your efforts that you have put in this very interesting information.

Clipping Path said...

Thank you for a informative post.