School's almost in around here. You know what that means, right?
Time for learning... reconnecting with friends.... becoming a better citizen...
No! It's a decorating opportunity!
I re-design a furniture and home goods consignment store a few times a month and last night was all about getting back to school.
The store had about a dozen desks and we focused on them to remind people that it's time to create a quiet and organized spot for homework.
Unlike a store that sells new items and orders whatever it needs, we use whatever the consigners have brought in.
That situation is a lot like what people deal with at home so I thought I'd pass along a few tips:.
- See that cabinet? A few weeks ago, we put china in it and paired it with a dining room table and chairs. This week it's holding books and would look great in an office, or even in a dining room that is doing double duty as a homework space.
- Got a desk but no chair? Sometimes it's more interesting not to have a matching set. Pull in a dining room chair or even an upholstered chair from a living room. If you have to buy a single chair, they are usually a great bargain at second-hand stores because they are tougher to sell than chairs that come as part of a set or at least a pair.
- Need pencil holders? Try a vase or a deep bowl. We put some of those to use last night.
- Don't forget the lamp! Even if you've got overhead lighting, you really need a lamp at a desk for that close-up work. Again, single lamps are pretty inexpensive.
- Finally, you don't necessarily need something that was built to be a desk to create a useful and beautiful homework spot. Dining tables provide lots of surface space and can be used in offices, or in family rooms. Tables that don't come as part of a dining set can be a bargain, too.