Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ahhh...this is what an empty garage looks like

I make it a point every year to hold a yard sale (in some parts of the country, it's a tag sale or a garage sale. Come to think of it, in my part of the country, it's a YOD sale.)

I do it to shed my house of stuff I no longer need or want. I do to make room for new stuff, which next year could be in the yard sale because I no longer need or want it. I do it to get rid of the stuff that last year I thought I might need or want for a little longer, but then didn't after all.

I do it to keep my house from becoming overrun with stuff. I do it because it makes me feel popular to make signs with arrows pointing to my house.

Whatever reason you do it, here are some suggestions:


  • Advertise in the newspaper and on craigslist. Mention the words: furniture, vintage, multi-family (if all that is true, that is).


  • Make lots of signs. With words big enough to read. While traveling 60 mph.


  • Don't discourage early birds. But, if you get to my house early, you better plan on paying full price. Or have coffee for me.


  • Once you are officially open, bargain for heaven's sake. You aren't a museum curator, you're holding a yard sale. Get over your stuff.


  • Tell people to come back when the yard sale ends to take away whatever is left. Then put out plenty of boxes and let people have at it. This is true: People caught up in yard sale mania will lick twigs off your driveway if they are free.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: